Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

That is a nice list of symbolism :slight_smile:

I will try to include a coat of arms in my final package.

1 Like

Does it need to be a shield? I’m not sure shields will be popular in a SciFi future… How about a ringed planet or something similar?

That’s the spirit! No shields for ships!

Shields aren’t very popular today either, but they are a traditional device to include in crests and such. The NFL, Blue Cross Blue Shield, others. A shield conveys a sense of strength, tradition, protection, etc.

Then there’s S.H.I.E.L.D., which interestingly does not have a shield in its insignia (though Captain America uses one).

I suggested an old-world design in the other thread based on this image: No shields were involved. Per @spacet’s suggestion, replace the eagle with a sword. I originally suggested a ship’s nose.

Because swords are so much more sci-fi than shields.

:stuck_out_tongue: hehe

Well I did forget about these guys…

I’m not sure if they’re in the spirit of Infinity though :smile:

1 Like

I love this one. It doesn’t feel ā€œthereā€ yet because the use of economy isn’t quite on target, but it feels kind of getting there.

Maybe this competition shouldn’t be ā€œwho wins the design competitionā€ but ā€œwhich design winsā€ since we’ve already gotten to a point at which the designs are highly collaborative, then crown the ā€œwinnerā€ as all the contributors. : D

And, with individual credit given to each element.

EDIT: I have an iteration sketched out (though not presentable yet) of this design, adding in a flamberge (the actual sword). Since a shield is good, a sword would also work along with it. Might as well be a flame-bladed sword:

How would a design with a flamberge and a kraken work?

1 Like

I thought it’s time to post my WIP-pool…

13 Likes

Wow, don’t get hooked on this @IllOO, it’s a never ending story.

Given the amount of stuff coming out of this challenge at this early stage and of good quality, maybe a re-scaling is needed @LucasFIN, do we need these type of emblems for anything else? Maybe INS would have some *use for it @INovaeKeith?

*subject to IP release forms ;)

Very nice stuff IIIOO. :smile:

Lots of potential in many of those wips. Will be interesting to see how they progress.

IIIOO,

These are fantastic, I’m looking forward to seeing future iterations. The only thing that I would request would be for the symbolism either to be more explained or present. So, this more gets at the ā€œpoeticā€ side of creating a symbol, though, again, visually you’re quite solid – these are great.

My favorite is the one with the ribbon shape wrapping around what looks like a sun.

And now this may just be a preference of taste: we’re ā€œThe Old Guardā€ so, something that’s usually considered ā€œoldā€ might also fit well (i.e. a shield has been a very common thing so far).

Speaking of symbolism, I can’t believe we haven’t actually done much brainstorming in terms of the values and themes we would like the symbol to represent.

So far, we have ā€œprotecting the old ways.ā€ But what else do we value collectively? Community, collaboration, creativity (and perhaps growth of skills). And, we’re within a community of passionate people. I don’t know if there’s one of us who I say doesn’t value technology, and very consciously at that.

I’d love to hear what else everyone has to offer in that vein.

1 Like

I agree with almost all of what you say. But it seems you are a fan of symbolisms. A logo does not neseccarily need to have a symbolism. A logo should be primarily eye-catching and very recognisable. Although for this challange symbolic logotype is a good way to go. I must admit I am quit unsatisfied with my progress so far as it all looks too ā€œoldā€ and fantasy-like… A logo for the ā€œOld Guardā€ does not need to be looking old, there are many other meanings hidden behind the word ā€œoldā€. The hardest part, and that is why I like this challenge, is to combine the world ā€œoldā€ with SciFi which is not so easy imo. :smile:

3 Likes

The inclusion of a flamberge would be fantastic symbolism for the history of the community, like really, do this.

broken flamberge with an infinity hilt maybe?

Ok!

Here is my first coat of arms version. Decorated and plain versions:

Symbolism:

Riding a Flamberge through the forums across the infinite reaches of space to reach the farthest star… taking a hell of a lot of time :slight_smile: Just another day in the forums, I’d say.

Comments?

6 Likes

i meant a literal flamberge but that looks good too. my favorite so far

I recognize that color scheme from a lot of your old concept art, you must really like it. But maybe the color scheme from the old forums is a better fit? If inovae is sticking with the white black thing.

2 Likes

It is indeed close to some of the colors I used in my centaurus designs (white for armor, brown for greeble, gold for windows).

I would not aim for the look and feel of the Infinity forums site. I think it’s more about the people and things inside the forums that we are trying to depict here. :wink:

1 Like

Some small fixes:

And a version with a smaller ribbon:

Better or worse?

2 Likes

I get the symbolism of a number of elements, including the hourglass, the infinity, the forum and flamberge. What are the wings, the shield, the five stars, the band at the top and the star below all about? Just artwork?

I’m not a fan of the shield shape. Here is a bunch of shapes that folks might find helpful.

Boldly overlapping the ribbon and the shield might work well. Right now, it looks like a bunch of disparate elements laid down next to each other.

I’m rather partial to the first one on the second row.

3 Likes

The shield = Guard (also, we are talking about a coat of arms here, which is basically a painted shield :wink: )
The wings = flying (in a spaceship) + decoration
White stars = in space
Small white star on the top = the farthest star that I mentioned before
Band on top = just artwork around the hourglass

I am no fan of making the ribbon overlap with the shield. It would force me to pick another color for it or use more separating white strokes since it would otherwise blend with the gold in the shield. I aim to keep the color scheme the same as in the logo.

Here’s a few more versions with a different shield (first one is the original):

I kinda like the last one.

2 Likes

I like the middle one, your banding around the hourglass looks like the crest of a planet at sunrise, so can be quite fitting.

I do wonder how the wings would look if they appeared more ā€œmechanicalā€

2 Likes